T

Macys.com

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Houston ISD Baking Powder Biscuits



Many years ago, when I worked for Houston Independent School District (HISD), I enjoyed the biscuits that they served in the cafeteria lunch line.  I don't eat a lot of bread and rarely biscuits, but so many of the teachers and employees were bragging about them until one day I decided to give them a try. 
Without a doubt, they were very scrumptious, light, and fluffy.  Those biscuits were so good that I asked the cafeteria staff if they would give me their recipe.  Not only did they give me the recipe for the baking powder biscuits, but they also gave me the recipe for the buttermilk biscuits as well.  Today, a good recipe is a restaurant’s well-guarded secret. But, back in the day, some restaurants and other establishments would readily share their recipes. I have a couple more that I personally obtained from local Houston restaurants that I will share in future posts.

I would love for you to share your favorite biscuit recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 tablespoons shortening
  • 3/4 cup milk
Directions:
  1. Sift dry ingredients together and cut in shortening
  2. Add milk to make a soft dough
  3. Place on a floured board
  4. Fold the dough about 4 times before rolling it out
  5. Roll out 1/2 " thick and cut with a floured biscuit cutter
  6. Place on greased cooking sheet and bake in a very hot oven (450 degrees) for about 12 minutes.  Makes 14 2-inch biscuits
Twist:  No twist, just as it was written by one of the cafeteria staff


No comments:

Post a Comment