This is a wonderful, well actually great dip that you should try for one of your Super Bowl appetizers.
When you visit various restaurants for Mexican cuisine, more than likely, you will be served a green or red salsa with chips. This is my version of the green sauce. It yields about 5 cups in the event that you want to cut the recipe in half.
- Cut jalapenos in half and remove seeds and stems
- Remove husk from tomatillos, and rinse
- Cut onion into quarters
- Add tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, and garlic in a large saucepan
- Add enough water to cover
- Blanch and remove from heat
- Remove skin and core from tomatoes and core from tomatillos. (use a bowl so that you can preserve the juices)
- Add tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, garlic, reserved juices, jalapenos, and juice from the lime to a blender
- Blend a couple of minutes until smooth; add the remaining ingredients
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Serve with tortilla chips or fresh vegetables